If you want to be a better editor of others’ work, purge yourself of rookie mistakes.
- How many approval cycles has this been through?
- What gatekeepers have already signed off on it?
- How close is the deadline?
- Apostrophe S on end of proper noun ending in S? Edwards’s blog or Edwards’ blog?
- Hyphens in compound modifiers but not proper nouns or “ly” adverbs. Wholly owned subisidary, Philadelphia based company, follow-up call.
- What indirect takeaways should readers be left with? Have a list of adjectives and messages for each of these: industry, company, product, competition.
- What are my company's top three overarching business goals? Where does your company want to be three years from now? (Not this year, not next year, but three to five years out.) Your answer has to be more specific than "drive sales." For example, it might be "shift from primarily commercial to primarily residential," "open new markets in India," "grow expertise in mobile technologies."
- Latinate: construct, educate, consequently, location, initiate, adjacent, appoint
- Anglo-Saxon: build, teach, so, place, start, near, name,